Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Do Not Fear


Fear can drive us to do crazy things. It creates desperation and panic. It changes us. We see it every day. We fear being laughed at and excluded. We fear failure. We fear clowns and planes and blood and heights and on and on and on. 

Irrational or not, our fears limit us. Fear traps us in a box and makes us feel like we will never escape. There's only one way out of the box...God. But if we ever want to escape fear and run to God, we must believe and hope. The minute we stop believing that God can deliver us to safety, our eyes fail to see that one Way out. How can we run to an escape we don’t believe exists? To conquer every fear, doubt, and worry, we must believe. When we believe, we can choose for ourselves whether or not fear will change us. 

If you don’t believe me, look in the Bible.

While he was still speaking, there came from the ruler’s house some who said, “Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the Teacher any further?” But overhearing what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe” (Mark 5:35-36 ).

Jesus said it Himself. DO NOT FEAR...ONLY BELIEVE. 

One of my favorite Bible verses is Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  ALL things. When I'm having a good day, this verse reminds me that God is giving me this strength and encourages me to show gratitude for His support. When I'm having a bad day, this verse is my lifeline. It reminds me that no matter what obstacle looms above me, I have God on my side. 

He is protecting us always. If you believe this, you can overcome anything.

When you're drowning in worry, pray to God for strength. He will help you overcome every fear you face in this world. He will guide you safely away from this fear that engulfs you…but only if you are willing to place your trust in Him. What do you have to be afraid of when your Father is God, the creator of all things? When fear paralyzes us, we must remember that God is always with us. Luke 1:37 says “Nothing is impossible with God.” Whatever unimportant thing you are afraid of…let it go! Don’t be afraid.

Well, we’re only human. I know as well as you do that it’s not as easy as that. But try to eliminate your fear! Trust in God and believe that He will deliver. Think of Abraham who wandered for years because God told him to. He must have gotten worried, afraid, or skeptic, but in the end, God fulfilled His covenant. Think of Noah. Have you seen the movie “Evan Almighty”? It’s an interesting take on the ancient Flood Story, but something about it did strike me. “Evan” is ridiculed and embarrassed as he builds a giant ark. He puts his family and career in jeopardy because He is listening to God. I would be afraid if I was Evan or Noah! But in the end, God delivers. Abraham reached the Promise Land. Noah survived the flood. God was right, as He always is.

No test, needle, shark, or plane is stronger than God. Not even death can compare; Jesus conquered death! Don’t fall for the illusion of fear. Fear will tear you down. God, on the other hand, will bring you up. Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"?

Don’t live a life driven by fear. Live a life driven by God, a life all for good and all for God. And ALWAYS trust in His limitless power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment